What is an empirical study?
- Empirical studies are those based on actual and objective observation or experimentation.
- Articles that describe empirical research studies are published in scholarly or academic journals.
- Many scholarly or academic journals are peer-reviewed or refereed, meaning that a panel of experts in the field selects and reviews the articles published in the journal. These articles are often, but not always, empirical studies.
- Empirical studies articles comprise the following parts (wording may vary):
- introduction (and review of the literature)
- discussion (and/or Conclusion)
Periodicals List Search
Finding Empirical Study Articles
Finding empirical research articles
Most databases will let you limit your search to articles that are:
Most, but not all, of these will be empirical studies.
To further focus your search, try adding one of the following terms to your search (try different combinations):
- methodology (or method)
For example, to find empirical studies on newspaper reading, I might try this: